Monday, March 24, 2014

The Fountainhead. Or "How I ruined my first year of work after finishing Grad School"


You don't blow up your own building if the contractor changes the design?  Whaaaaaat?
You don't have total control over all aspects of your work?  Whaaaaaat?
You can't just go jack hammer stone when people don't respect you as an Architect ? Whaaaaaat?
Newspaper published architecture critics can make or break careers? Whaaaaaat?

As a fresh recruit some 25 years into the real world of architectural practice in Raleigh NC, I knew it all.  I had just finished Graduate School with a  Masters Degree and had lived for 5 months in Genova Italy...ah yes, Europe- where architects are revered and crowds of potential patrons clear a path wherever an Architect walks.  Reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead in the summer of 1988 only galvanized my fortitude as an Architectural intern ready to change the world !  (And I had not even taken Architectural Registration Exam yet...)  As my buddy Kurt Flechtner was always quick to retort, "What a maroon." I had a lot to learn.  Whaaaaaat?


The Fountainhead (1949) from El origen del mundo on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment